The Metacoda Security Plug-Ins are add-ons for SAS Management Console which improve the productivity of administrators working on SAS metadata security. They provide clearer views of your security ACTs and ACEs together with the access that your security rules are giving to groups, roles and users. Over the years, the Plug-Ins have grown into a powerful and valuable tool.
First mentioned on this blog back in November last year, Metacoda Commutual is a web application for searching and collaborating around business and technical metadata in SAS, including discussions and notification of changes to items of interest. As I said in November, "I think the idea has great merit. Metadata is not just a technical thing; it represents the objects that are important to our business."
The Metacoda web site has a lot more information on Commutual, here’s a quick summary of the main focus areas of the new product:
- Activity: get notified about any changes and discussions on items of interest to you
- Search: find the items you want and register your interest in seeing activity for them
- Discussions: share your knowledge and learn from the knowledge and experience of others
- Easy Access: get easy access from anywhere: browsers on desktop PCs, tablets, or smart phones, and even custom applications, add-ons, and plug-ins
- Performance: to make it as fast as we can, so you can find what you need, when you want it, and don’t miss out on shared knowledge because it takes too long or it’s too hard to find
- Security: only provide access to metadata you normally have access to
[UPDATE. Metacoda have posted a video demonstration of Commutual, so you can see it in action]